Quick Fresh Tomato Sauce Recipe
Too many tomatoes to eat in a salad? Make a quick and easy tomato sauce. This sauce is perfect for a savoury meal during the harvest season.
From the garden:
- Tomatoes – 9 cups chopped ( about ½ basket)
- Basil – handful
- Garlic- 2 large cloves
- Hot pepper – one
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Wash tomatoes, cut in half, remove the green centre, then gently squeeze out seeds. (You can fill your sink up with some water and squeeze out tomato in the water, it will prevent the juices from squirting everywhere)
- Chop or tear basil.
- Slice garlic cloves into thin slices so they will cook and soften quicker.
- Cut the green stem off the hot pepper – add it whole.
- In a pot heat up olive oil and add garlic, do not let the garlic get brown. (It will become bitter)
- Add chopped tomatoes, basil, salt and hot pepper. Stir to mix everything. Cover and cook over medium heat for approx. 45 minutes. Tomatoes will be soft and skins will be separating. Also check to see if the garlic is soft.
- Remove from heat and using a food mill remove the excess seeds (They will make the sauce more acidic tasting) and skin.
- That’s it your fresh sauce is done, enjoy with your favorite pasta, topped with some fresh basil and maybe alittle extra diced hot pepper.